Saturday, June 28, 2008

Atmosphere, Brother Ali, & Kidz in the Hall in London (Video)

So, as I have mentioned previously, I'm chillin here in London this summer. Already been here for a little over a month, still have about three weeks left. But last week, on June 18, I believe, there was an Atmosphere, Brother Ali, and Kidz in the Hall concert at this spot called Koko night club here across the pond. Atmosphere and Ali are touring through Europe this summer for their 3 The Hard Way tour. Of course I wasn't going to pass up a chance to see that shit. I even caught both of them at Soundset in May, the day before I came to London, but the more the better.

So I show up to this place, and the venue is absolutely crazy. Koko night club appears to be an old theater that was converted into a music venue. It's got this big floor area, and two or three balconies which provide rather good views for watching a concert. It's also pretty large, so I didn't expect the concert to be very full by any means. This is independent hip-hop in Europe, after all. But how little did I know. To my surprise, the place was absolutely packed. Atmosphere has really laid out the blueprint for how to gain popularity, going from a little known Minnesota hip-hop group to selling the #5 album in the states during their debut week, with Lemons.

As for the concert, Kidz in the Hall rocked it pretty hard. They played some new tracks off of The In Crowd, including "Drivin' Down The Block," which I have some footage of later in this post. Their set was almost a little too loud though, and it was hard to decipher the lyrics at times. Still a fun show. But then it was time for Ali and Atmosphere. One thing I didn't realize about this tour (and which made it really special) was that Atmosphere and Ali were taking the stage at the same time. It was interesting, they kind of traded off songs, with Slug and Ali basically taking turns as each other's hype man. Ant was Djing the whole time, killing the set as usual. They had an interesting mix of songs, and overall if was a spectacular performance. I took some photos and videos, which I'm about to post here, I hope you enjoy, I sure did. I'd have more, but my camera ran out of batteries. Though I'd like more footage of the show, that did thankfully allow me to focus more on the music and go down to the main floor, which was definitely a good time. Great night.

Kidz in the Hall performing "Drivin' Down The Block"


Brother Ali performing "Whatcha' Got"


Brother Ali performing "Forest Whitaker"


Atmosphere performing "Puppets"


Atmosphere performing "Shoulda Known"


Atmosphere performing "Sunshine"

No comments: