Friday, May 23, 2008

Midwest Broadcast's Slept On Albums, Vol. 1

So I'm trying to add something new to this website besides just posting shit I see and like elsewhere. Here is hopefully the first of many posts on albums that I think are just too good and may have slipped through the radar.


Brother Ali & BK One: Off The Record


This album, as Fifth Element states, is comprised of "a number of exclusive cuts and guest appearances" by Brother Ali. That, however is the delicate, easy way to describe this record. Basically, as far as I'm concerned, Off The Record is a bunch of great cuts Ali recorded that for some reason, didn't make any of his other albums. But, nearly each song is still individually spectacular. I don't intend for this to be taken lightly when I say that I honestly believe that Brother Ali is one of the best, most consistent lyricists in the game right now. This has nothing to do with me hailing from Minnesota (although that does allow me to keep up with his work more easily). I'm not favoring the home team, here. Ali just simply drops hip-hop quotables on damn near every song, never failing to impress lyrically. Furthermore, he isn't scared to tackle a multitude of topical matters. And he does so masterfully. The first track, "Original King" features Ali brashly claiming that he's second to none in this rap shit. Brother Ali reliably backs up his claims throughout the whole record. While most rappers aren't scared to say they're the best, few do so convincingly. Ali is one of them, and belongs on a pedestal with the great contemporary lyricists today.

I'm not going to go through each of the 17 tracks on Off The Record for you, here. Ali's cadence, delivery, and passion is something that really should be heard rather than described. In the end, if you want to have a comprehensive collection of the work of one of today's best rappers out there, this album is a must have. Limited copies of the CD exist, but can be purchased (YES, it's worth your actual money) at the Fifth Element's website. Plus you won't be able to download this anywhere. Or at least I seriously doubt it. Also, if you don't have Shadows On The Sun or The Undisputed Truth, you need to get on your grind. You haven't heard some of the truest hip-hop music out there if these records aren't in your collection.

No comments: