Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Brother Ali: Two Unreleased Songs from 'Street Preacher' LP (Live at Soundset 2009)

I always have mixed feelings about recording video at concerts. Sometimes I go to shows and really document the hell out of it; but I always end up feeling a little guilty afterward. It's a tough call to make between the honest notion that only paying ticket holders should be allowed to experience a concert, and the demand for nonstop media in today's YouTube age. This year at Soundset I busted out my camera only to take photos, except for two occasions. Brother Ali performed two unreleased songs from his upcoming full-length LP, Street Preacher, which is slated for a fall release date. I decided to record some video of both of these songs. Shouts to my man Brok for the camera work — he had better position in the crowd than I did.

Unfortunately, I don't have names for either of the tracks yet. The first song features a very bouncy, horn-dominated beat, and Ali spitting an uptempo flow pretty much nonstop for 3 minutes. The second song was a very fun live track. It's another thumping, soul-sampling song featuring a self-affirming, joyful Ali rapping and singing about his ever-increasing satisfaction with his life. It looks like Ali may have even been rapping at my camera during that song, but there's no telling. Overall, it looks like, unsurprisingly, Ali is busy cooking up some incredible material for Street Preacher. You can stay updated with all his progressions on the album by following his Twitter.



No comments: